The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modelling software??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W F Moore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Modelling software?? Reply with quote

I have apparently been spoiled by CATIA (which i'm not paying for- duh!), as my search for a home CAD has left me gritting my teeth as I try out Rhino. Right price, but too much squinting involved, and not true parametric/associative.

There are others that are p/a, but with industrial strength prices...

What are folks using now (2012 as opposed to 2005), do they like what they use (or just grit their teeth), and how much did they cost???

Weasel
Paladin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Modelling software?? Reply with quote

W F Moore wrote:
I have apparently been spoiled by CATIA (which i'm not paying for- duh!), as my search for a home CAD has left me gritting my teeth as I try out Rhino. Right price, but too much squinting involved, and not true parametric/associative.

There are others that are p/a, but with industrial strength prices...

What are folks using now (2012 as opposed to 2005), do they like what they use (or just grit their teeth), and how much did they cost???

Weasel

Greetings
My current software of choice is Blender http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/. Its not a CAD program but a 3d modeling,texturing ,animating and rendering package along the lines of 3dsMax but lacking some of Max's bells and whistles. Like all such packages it comes with a steep learning curve. On the upside its open source software and its is free. Major improvements over the last few years has resulted in a pretty darn good package. Although its not a CAD program it may be worth taking a look at and the price is rite.

Regards
Walt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: