The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help on the Wiki?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Help on the Wiki? Reply with quote

Would anyone with Conways volumes for 1860 (and possibly 1906) be able and willing to enter data to seed the Wiki for ship pages?

In essence, one will have to, for each ship class, create a page with a boilerplate intro and then flesh out a datablock with citations detailing a few facts about each unit, e.g.:

name
launch date
builder
fate (by default, "Sold")
fate date

And, if available, pendant numbers, order date or details and possibly laid down date

An example would be, as in a Russian monitor class:

Code:

nat=RU
cat=CoastDefenceShip
type=coast defence battleship

sortas=monitor

{ship
name=Admiral Ushakov
pend=
builder=[[Admiralty Shipyards|New Admiralty Shipyards]]{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
order=
laid=1892
launch=Nov, 1883{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
comm=1895{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
fate=Sunk
fatedate=28 May, 1905
}

{ship
name=Admiral Seniavin
pend=
builder=[[Baltic Works]]{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
order=
laid=1892{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
launch=Aug 1894{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
comm=1896{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
fate=Scrapped
fatedate=1928{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
}

{ship
name=General Admiral Graf Apraksin
pend=
builder=[[Admiralty Shipyards|New Admiralty Shipyards]]{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
launch=May 1896{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
laid=Oct 1894{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
comm=1899{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
fate=Scrapped
fatedate=1926{{Conways1860|p. 181}}
}

Any takers? This would really help create a better Wiki.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Broshot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this, sort of, for the British First Class Cruisers (armored cruisers), from the Orlando class (1885) to the Minotaur class (1905). I used Conways and other sources (I have the Ian Allen WWI Royal Navy book, and the contemporary publications you can find online, Brassey's Naval Annual, etc.). But the data is on a Excel sheet.

I have one for French armored cruisers but it is incomplete.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, would you be patient and willing enough to enter the same data for our site?

There would be a few quirks, such as how we footnote such things (footnoting every element is a goal for us... but I am working to make syntax for such as painless as it could ever be).

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jim Broshot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone (?)

I can try. You will have to send me a template - I'm not a Wiki type contributor and used to do these lists in pencil and paper.

Footnoting will be a problem. I know what I consulted but didn't make an entry for each ship.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the task must really be one of using books to ensure these have footnotes. It's hard to do correctly, as I occasionally find even my favorite baseline source (Conways) has an error. Wikipedia benefits from many eyes, but I also find the rate error there... plus you must also rely on inference or consensus when major sources don't agree.

I wonder if perhaps I could start by scraping Wikipedia and then checking the data against Conways and add footnotes where they agree and check additional sources when they differ? That makes the data entry process one of primarily fact-checking.

tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: