The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Navy watertight doors c.1894

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Tey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Royal Navy watertight doors c.1894 Reply with quote

What differences, if any, in the external appearance In RN watertight doors (WTD) were there in c.1894 compared with 1906. The interest is only in WTD exposed to the weather, i.e. visible from outside the ship.
The question arises because I cannot find any evidence anywhere about the early doors, which I want to depict on a model of HMS Eclipse (1894). I do have scale drawings of WTD in the book 'The Battleship Dreadnought' by John Roberts, which of course describes the ship of c.1906. Page 250 shows, among others, a 'standard' door having 4 clips each side and 1 clip at the top and bottom. A smaller WTD has only 1 clip at top and bottom on the weather side. If Dreadnought was 'state of the art' in 1906, did its WTD incorporate improvements over the earlier ones; if so, what did the earlier ones look like?
I have the Admiralty plans of HMS Juno, sister to Eclipse. Numerous weather side doors were called out as WTD, but no further detail was given. I have examined the National Maritime Museum Greenwich Model SR 1282 HMS Doris (another sister), but there were no clues on the appearance if its WTD. I have also examined the model of HMS Hermes (1897), a follow-on to Eclipse, at the National Museum of Scotland. No detail on the WTD appearance was visible.
May I appeal to your expertise?
Suvoroff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: WTDs Reply with quote

After looking in all my books and all the photographs on my hard drive, all I can find is this, on the Niobe;

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/navy/galery-e.aspx?section=2-B-2&id=15&page=0

Did you get any photographs of the model of Doris? I'm always looking for material on RN predreadnought warships, especially cruisers. Information on the battleships is fair-to-poor, but for cruisers it is downright bad. I can trade photographs of the very-large-scale model of HMCS Rainbow (Apollo class) in Victoria, Canada.

Yours,
James D. Gray
Brian Tey

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: RN watertight doors, c.1894 Reply with quote

This is a tardy response to 'Suvoroff's' posting of April 14. His posting included a hyperlink, which operation produced a fine photo of a double door on Niobe. The door seemed close in dimensions to one on Juno and one on the model of Hermes. The photo shows details such as hinges and clips very clearly, and so is very useful to me. The door location on Juno and Hermes is on a full ship's-width bulkhead which separates the quarter-deck from the upper deck forward. For this function, the doors are not required to be watertight.

I agree with 'Suvoroff' that material (particularly on-board detail) on pre-Dreadnought RN cruisers is very difficult to find. I purchased copies of the Admiralty plans of Juno from the NMM Greenwich. These were in lieu of plans for Eclipse, which were destroyed by enemy action during WW2. The Juno plans were very good, but supplementary information is necessary to complete an adequate model. The path I wandered through started with <http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk> (limited in close-up shots)., and similar sites. A book 'Cruisers in Camera' by Roger Hayward, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000 had a two-page photo of Eclipse, which was attributed to the Public Record Office. This led me to the online catalogs of the PRO (now The National Archives, Kew). They have a collection of ship photos. The published photo of Eclipse was backed up by two others which were very helpful. The NMM collections were also useful, but some were only middle distant shots. From a contact in England, I was sent a listing of on-board shots of one of the Class ships, which he got from the Imperial War Museum. These were excellent. However, I have been unable to penetrate the online website to find a catalog of any sort. The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship is also useful. I should mention the useful books and articles by Brian King, although focussed mainly on battleships.

I sent an Email to 'Suvoroff' using the Dreadnought Proj. Private Message system to see how we could exchange photos as suggested. But I have no indication as to what happened to this after I pressed 'Submit'. I have since altered my Profile to include my Email address, so perhaps a direct contact by 'Suvoroff' is now possible.

Brian
Suvoroff

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Tey, I sent you an E-Mail through the forum's forwarding system; if you don't get it, just add @AOL.com to my nom de plume for my E-Mail address.

Yours,
James D. Gray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: