The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HMS Dreadnaught

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proflooney

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: HMS Dreadnaught Reply with quote

Hey guys I am new to ship modelling being used to designing and building WWI aircraft for museums and other places based on factory drawings. I use Solidworks for my 3D cad program and have always wanted to make me a large detailed model ship.

I have not been able to figure out how to loft a ships hull decently and was wondering if anyone had an accurate hull for the HMS Deadnaught, the Bismark, or the Yamamoto as an IGES, Parasolid, Step file or even a 3ds Max or Rhino format. I am just needing the Hull and I can draw and design the super structure and rest of the stuff. I havent figured out the scale yet but am wanting to model it at about 12 ft length.

I will probably radio control it and all the turrets and gun barrels so that it would look cool sitting on the display stand and moving all the guns around.

If anyone has a hull of one of the 3 done accurately and would like to share it pls let me know.

joe
Iain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lofting truly isn't difficult, especially if you've drafting experience (hey, if I can do it, anyone can!). If you have a table of offsets or a lines drawing (both would be better), you may use them. My method of drawing a ship three-dimensionally in AutoCAD is to trace out the lines and then move/rotate into place to give an approximation of the ship's hull. Then I just move lines around until everything is fair. If you know how to draw three-dimensionally, then you should be able to figure it out. When I do it, the most important lines are the shear, base, and stations. When the other lines don't agree with any of the above (unless it is obviously one of the above that is wrong), it's the other line that is changed. This process isn't very difficult and is easier shown than explained.

USS Brooklyn, done with this method:

North Carolina:

I started by tracing stations:

Proflooney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks John I sorta think I can figure out what your doing and saying. My problem is when you have that little box that shows the stations for the front and rear then thats where I get lost as I cant make heads or tails out of a lot of the stuff.

now to your other observation the Station points I happened to get ahold of declassified drawings for the USS South Dakota and also for the HMS Northmark (an oiler)

you can download them from my website at

http://www.proflooney.net/ships.zip

the South Dakota has a block in the upper left corner with a bunch of squares in it listing like station 1-33 or whatever and a 3 number code for each box. I think thats what you mentioned. Maybe ya can explain to me how to set them up for my cad program.

I use Solidworks for my cad program but I also use Corel Draw and a few others so I should be able to use whatever method you saying can be used with them.

my email addy is jahuntley@mchsi.com if you want to email reply to my question it might make it easier that way.

thanks

Joe
Proflooney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: redid file Reply with quote

Ok guys some ppl saying they cant read psx format so I am reuploading the files as both tiff and jpg format. Because of this of course the file wont be as small. These seem to be on the original sheets so they will be little bigger as its drawn at 1-8th inch to the foot. The address for the file will be http://www.proflooney.net/bbsd.zip it is 830 CST give it 30 mins or 900 CST to be sure it is finished uploading.

Joe
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that table you found is the table of offsets. It gives measurements in feet, inches, and eigths. I would recomend looking up the terminology involved before attempting a project like this.

I don't know how much help I can be, for I haven't got Solidworks, but I can look at how things are done and try to walk you through it.
Proflooney

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks john I spent a few hrs on the phone with a kind soul and figured out how to read and convert the TOO. I even have set up excell sheets that do all the calculations. I just need to figure out how to get them all to work properly in SW. I can get it to draw the stations sort of, however a few are really wacky and I still have to set up the table for the upper half of the station above the ledge

Joe
Iain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm downloading the files now. I'm probably going to play around with them a bit and try to draw out step by step what I'm talking about (the idea being to teach you to fish rather than give you a fish).
maxyang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, sorry for missing this discussion, i have been occupied too much

the steps i use to make hulls, is very similar to Iain said. some addition is:
1. shear lines and stations and many other traced out lines will not agree at every intersection, i prefer to stick to one set of lines, adjust them both maintaining the general shape and reducing the error against other lines, then create hull surfaces from this one set only.
2. creating a single hull surface is not easy, especially at the bow and stern or other places where sudden change of curvature exists. i usually make cuts at those changing points and add smaller patches there matching curvature only at the cutting line. with this, a big side hull surface is still maintained while details can be added.
3. if possible, use a polygon (subdivision) tool rather than NURBS to make hulls, polygon modelling will give you better control at subtle details. i prefer "modo" at this point, though there are many good polygon tools including 3dsmax.
Proflooney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I been working on a Yamato to try and get the hang of delftship before ttrying to do one the earlier dreadnaughts with all the angles etc but I cant seem to get the stern to come out right and I have been spending abt 14 hrs a day for the last 2 weeks on it. I am getting pretty fed up with it right now

Joe

PS I cant use poly modeling tools as there is no way to get them into solidworks parasolid modeling. thats why i like delftship as it will export a nice iges file
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: