The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new Wiki launched

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: new Wiki launched Reply with quote

While it is not where we'd like it to be (one of its advantages, really), I added a link in the navbar to a naval history Wiki Simon Harley and I have been working on for a couple of years.

It is based on an editor/reader model -- not every visitor gets to edit the articles. We'd like to extend the software so that any registrant is permitted to discuss the articles to offer criticism, corrections and suggestions, but we haven't done much on that as yet.

The idea is not to duplicate efforts underway at Wikipedia or elsewhere on the web, but to complement them with deep studies on topics of special interest to the editors and a subset of general readers in hopes that it might lend a new appreciation to the big picture.

Some example articles that illustrate the depth we'd like to offer:

I hope you'll check it out and spread the word.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MarkD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy to contribute when you get to that point!
NewGolconda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone, what a great idea.

In homage, I offer this..

Your wiki on HMAS Brisbane states that no director was ever fitted, and from her photos as built she certainly did not feature one in her early life, however..

the ships history indicates she visited malta to have her equipment updated in 1916, and then visited the UK for a refit 1918-1919.

The following photo shows Brisbane in 1935 along side the new HMAS Sydney II - she sailed to the UK to bring Sydneys new crew to the UK and to be scrapped there.

As you can see in the photo she seems to have the tripod style director fitted at that time. So sometime between 1919-1935 she must have been so fitted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/4894602908/
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -- that director appears to be the later type the RN developed. I am not sure when this design came into being, but it was fairly well removed from the types created and fitted during the war period through 1920.

I'll add a note for her later life, but this falls beyond our focus period.

edit: looked at your image again and realized of course you meant the ship on the right (which certainly looks more WW1-ish and does have the Vickers light aloft tower fitted).

I suppose it might have been fitted about the time you suggest. Let me look over what I have on it again. Perhaps it wound up with kit that was intended for Princess Royal and Tiger (IIRC) but apparently not fitted, or that it was intended for her all along.

Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NewGolconda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sydneys DCT, while quite the subject of considerable column inches, is a little late for the period.

Honestly - congratulations on an excellent endeavor. I think in this sort of detailed information, there will always be minor discrepancies between as fitted lists and photos or other evidence.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be welcome to lift that photo and place it on the website? What is the source of it?

edit: no real matter if it persists there. I linked to it and referenced you by your nom-de-guerre (your real name is ok if you'd rather).

tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: