The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"With the Fleet"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: "With the Fleet" Reply with quote

I am at a saddle-point in my project's course, and would love to draw upon the talents and capabilities of others to take it further.

I am most interested in hearing from people who combine a love of history of this era with skills in game development: programmers, 3D game object modelers, and 2D artists.

I'd really like my role in the work to be designer, high-level programmer, and modeler of small instruments. This leaves technical lead and the main artist slots open and available.

If you are good at this stuff, by all means check in here.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update... I am working on this now, but the groundwork being done is not really much fun. I have a private forum with a few more energetic insiders involved. I cannot use much outside help YET, but if there are coders out there who would like to help (C++ skills must be very strong), I'd like to hear from you.

thanks in advance!

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've talked via email (jdulaney@starfishnet.com) and I would like to offer my services. At the very least I could work on a Linux version. If, however, you are doing MS-only code, I can't help much.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain. My code is pretty much able to run on Mac/PC/Linux, and while I'd like to bring at least the Mac in, even that is premature at the moment.

I will certainly keep you in mind, however, as I could really benefit from having a Linux build-boss at some point.

tone
Iain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I would still love to play with your simulation.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, John, so would I! It was fun, as I recall. I think, still, about getting something working, perhaps even (don't laugh) as phone apps tied together into a larger sim.

tone
Iain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to it; did you lose your code to a HD crash?
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's simply unusable -- literally so for me (no Windows computer) and practically so for everyone else (relied on a 3D plugin that is 6 years in the grave, and was quirky).

My last work on the project which never saw light of day were to bring the subject over to a real game engine. I explored several and was making slow progress, but not enough to warrant setting every other ambition I had aside for it.

I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if I had some real money to throw at it, or a coder and who had no ambition to exert creative control in the areas I feel most vital.

I do have some contacts in the Navy (the current and the former CO of Constitution, actually) who might be able to network me to simulation people, but that is very far-fetched, as it is difficult for me to imagine they wouldn't want me to work on a world of Silkworms, Seahawks and Littoral Combat Ships.

tone
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old code base were ever to see a rebirth (simply as an interactive illustration -- there is indeed more to accomplish here, as in showing people how the system largely worked, but then to illustrate why the overall systems failed to deliver many hits), it would be by trying to replace the old Wildtangent plugin use with JavaMonkeyEngine. I think it would take a coder with a strong stomach a few months, as he would see how poor is my understanding of 3D math.

tone
MarkD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the dreaded fire control problem.

As I recall from Fire Controlman "A" school (though that was 25 years ago), the math wasn't impossibly hard, but there's so much you have to consider. We spent two weeks learning to do calculations that we would never have to repeat again.

We always figured that if it came down to us having to do the fire control problem by hand, we would just head for the lifeboats instead!
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I might be willing to do the coding bit. I don't do Java, but I do know C/C++ (I write code for the Linux kernel). If I were to get involved with this project, I probably would try to go for something that is portable between Windows, Linux, and Mac; I would use one of the open source engines available that have versions for each of the platforms.

Of course, this assumes that you're good with it all.
feld

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tone wrote:

I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if I had some real money to throw at it, or a coder and who had no ambition to exert creative control in the areas I feel most vital.

tone

Tone,

Have you considered contacting Norm Koger and the people who made the Distant Guns series of games? The engine simulates every shell above some very small caliber. The addition of a more detailed (I won't say realistic) fire control model to their engine might be just the thing...

v/r
feld
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll say "realistic". :)

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished in realism here, on balance (which I throw in, as you have finite resources, and damage effects are fairly difficult to do at the same level of realism I could give fire control). You drive right to the point where people can only criticize the visibility conditions being modeled and the trade-offs made in reducing the many actual controls to sensibly accurate (in terms of ease and responsiveness) mouse-keyboard-monitor-microphone-speaker user interface.

Though Norm's coder asked me some questions to help him assist Norm in some facets of the design, they have their own vision of what a game should be, and customers who have bought into it. I know my own vision is substantially different.

tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: