The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download Available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Download Available? Reply with quote

I've been 'distantly connected' with this project for the past few years. Basically I've kept up with the progress and have read any bit of news since a website was available as well as the occasional email updates from Tone. I tried my hand with Rhino but quickly realised it was a bit over my head, so I focused on PHP and database design...go figure.

Anyhow, glad to see the evolution from modeling ships to development of a PC game. With that said, do you have an executable available for download Tone? Just interesting in checking it out.

Goodluck!
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Radius... good to hear from you.

My sim is difficult to work -- so much so that I finally decided to show videos of it in use rather than force people to work on an often-updated Java applet.

You are welcome to try your hand at it, however.

1. this only works on Windows with a recent version of DirectX (say, >=7), a recent version of internet explorer, and a 3D accelerator card
2. Install the "Wildtangent Web Driver plug-in" from www.wildtangent.com -- I suggest you NOT install the "Game Channel" accessory
3. If you do not yet have it, install Sun's Java JVM (I think I require v1.4.2 or later) via www.java.com
4. reboot your system
5. Using Internet Explorer, go to (URL removed... as the applet is now offline for good)

You'll read a page or so and get to a button which will permit you to launch the applet (disable pop-up killers for my site before doing so -- I have no ads).

The instructions are iffy, and will not be sufficient to do very much in the world, but if you get to where you can walk the deck of the destroyer, by all means email me and I'll take you further!

As I type this, I resolve to go and touch up the instructions on the first few pages, just in case others follow you down this path.

tone
tone@dreadnoughtproject.org

Last edited by tone on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear there is a runable to download. :D I will try when I can upgrade my lab computer's graphics card. :cry:

I am a programmer in some definition. Just wonder why you choose Java as the platform. Personal I think Java is too slow to run.

Max

Last edited by maxyang on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java was the easiest to get started with, and I entertained the idea of running small portions of the sim in the browser window itself. Just looking at the frameworks of unreadable code required to make a C++ app run on Windows makes me want to selll my computer and take up animal husbandry.

If I keep my code in Java, I will probably move it to jME. If I move to C++, I'll probably use Torque Game Engine or license an engine used in an existing naval sim.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maxyang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are right. java is easy, those clumsy MFC frameworks does not save me from anything but always keep me thinking why the hell they made it that way. a good code is the the easiest one that runs.
dust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gratulation, you are the first who got me to use IE since several years :lol:

i just tried the way beside of using java 1.5 but it didnīt work, which browser security setting is needed?

for the game engine i posted here http://dreadnoughtproject.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=10 :wink:

kind regards
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dust... your trouble, sadly, is not surprising. :(

Your permissions would have to be sufficiently lax to allow the Wildtangent activeX plug-in to function, and to permit (say) medium security on the Java applet.

The reboot I wrote about in the steps to follow may be necessary. Sometimes, the best way to get it working is first to try running a game from the wildtangent.com site -- the games there are goofy, but often feature better "first run" logic to shake in and verify the installation of the visualizer than my framework manages.

I have often found, in installing on a new machine that my applet does not work before I first run a Wildtangent game written by a more commercially-minded developer.

Let me know if you have trouble from here, and thanks for the vote of confidence in installing and running IE for the first time in many years.

tone
RobB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: SIMs Reply with quote

Tone
I tried to access the willy.resounding.com/wtf site (as per your post 29 Oct 04) without success. Has this site been moved/ blocked, or is it just me?

What I'm after, of course is a way to generate movies that would be compatible with your project. And I it would be very helpful to have a good tutorial!

Regards
Rob
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gee... I have not had it up for download in awhile. It was ABUSIVELY hard to get working on a new machine. I'll look to see where there is even a mention of that any more.

I was still unable to email you -- the address on the profile was unchanged. Can you try updating it again? Or email me as tone through dreadnoughtproject.org

thanks ...

tone
OnkelWou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: actual download available Reply with quote

hi guys ... im visiting this site for some weekends now and i'm really fascinated ...

it's a great idea to simulate this time ... i'm so "happy" :) a also started to learn some 3d modelling these days ... with a rhino demo version ... not really cool ... still got many probs ... thousands of probs ... doesnt matter ...

my question is: is there anywhere an actual download link for this project??? i cant wait to try this thing out ... and i might have many more ideas
especially things about navigation an so on but first i have to "play"/experience this on my own ... to see if i can help on maybe

again: where is an actual download link ;)

ps sry for all the mistakes in this and all my next posts ... im from germany and my last english lessons are some time ago :D
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OnkelWou (Uncle Wou, maybe?) your English is fine.

It has been 18 months or so since I encouraged anyone to download and try the simulation themselves, as it was so difficult to make it work on some computers. I hope that some day I will again have the old prototype working and easier for others to use.

I wonder where you live in Germany, and if you'd be willing to help us do research on German fire control systems, guns, shells, and signaling. I understand Freiburg has the largest military archive, but I have not yet found someone to explore it for me.

If you have any questions about Rhino, please make a separate post -- there are 3-5 pretty good Rhino users on the board.

tone
OnkelWou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ... no no its OnkelWou .... onkel => german: uncle ;)

thanks for that quick respond ....
but sorry am living far away from freiburg ... near ruegen ... germans biggest and nicest island ;) and i dont really have any time ... sorry ...

just can try looking a bit round the place right here ... and maybe a got something for ya ... its a .pdf file
"Warships Dreadnought Project German Original Plans" around 247 pages i you wanna have it tell me ... then i will upload it ...

isnt there really no version "playable" right now? i think i read something about java and so on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Simulation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: