The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armored Cruiser North Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W F Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Armored Cruiser North Carolina Reply with quote

I have seen a picture of the model of the armored cruiser USS North Carolina at the NC Maritime Museum (if that's the museum at the site of the BB North Carolina!).

One of the regular correspondents at this site is a volunteer there (that's you, John!).

Could you tell me more about the model: what scale, when built, by whom? And some more pictures would be nice.

I am working on a CAD model of the USS Washington, ACR-11.

I am at wfmoore70@alum.mit.edu

Many thanks-
Wes
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the battleship is a seperate museum. I do not believe that it even falls under DCR. There is, however, a branch in Southport, about thirty minutes away.

I can call down there Monday and try to find out the information you seek. If you don't mind waiting, I am planning on going to Wilmington torwards the end of the month.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: North Carolina Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long to get back to this spot, and thanks for any info you can divine

Wes
Iain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it happens, I have today been tasked with building a model of the North Carolina, the armored cruiser.

As I am able to gain information, I shall share it with you.

The battleship museum does have an excellent model; unfortunately I forgot my camera. I will be returning to Wilmington again, and next time I WILL bring my camera.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: North Carolina Reply with quote

I just now realized you replied back in August.

There are plans of the Tennessee class available from "Maryland Silver"
(google them) from NA originals. They are mostly of the North Carolina/Montana half of the class, which are slightly different from the Tennessee/Washington.

The biggest difference is that (if the 2 profiles are to be believed) than the 2 1/2 classes are the same length, but the bow of the NC is a bit shorter, and the stern a bit longer than the TN (relative to the frame callouts)- !!

I can provide you with a computer model in some neutral format like IGES of my work thus far, if it's any use to you.

Wes
Iain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do Autocad format? If not, I'll look when I get home to see what formats Autocad accepts. My biggest needs at the moment are details of the boat cranes and boats themselves, but any other detail you may have would help. Can you take DWGs or DXFs? If so, I have some stuff for you, as well.
W F Moore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: E-mail direct Reply with quote

John-

Sorry to take so long to get back.

Pls e-mail me at wfmoore70@alum.mit.edu, so we can exchange data in a more reasonable fashion.

My models are 3-D CAD, but I can make drawings to make .dxf
I can also read .dxf

We promise to post lovely pictures when there is something to post!
(At least if I can figure how to do it)

Wes
Iain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: E-mail direct Reply with quote

W F Moore wrote:
John-

We promise to post lovely pictures when there is something to post!
(At least if I can figure how to do it)

Wes

I am not planning on doing a full blown 3d model, the purpose for this is mainly to loft the hull and get more stations for a physical model.

I will be in touch via email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: