The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. Navy Dazzle Colors in World War I?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: U.S. Navy Dazzle Colors in World War I? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source that specifies the colors used by the U.S. Navy in World War I? I have photos that show the pattern for the ship in question, but I can only guess at the colors. (This is made more complicated by the use of orthochromatic film at the time, which tended to render blues very light, and reds very dark.)

I've tried Floating Drydock and ShipCamouflage.com, but they deal almost entirely with the Second World War. The Rhose Island Institue of Design has a great collection of WWI merchant patterns online, but no naval material.

Thanks.
tigone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams' [i]Naval Camouflage, 1914-1945: A Complete Visual Reference[/i] is a great source. While even that work cannot identify precise colors on individual ships, it narrows down the possibilities considerably, and makes it possible to make some reasonable conjecture. First efforts here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36584779@N05/sets/72157623114685169/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: