The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWII Veterans speak at NC Maritime Museum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: WWII Veterans speak at NC Maritime Museum Reply with quote

Jan. 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM.

Quote:
Veterans of World War II landing operations come together to talk about their experiences as crewmembers of Landing Craft, Vehicle and Personnel transporting troops to shore or as soldiers assaulting the beach.

I'm going to do an audio recording. I'll have to talk to Paul about copyright issues, but I am confident that I will be able to make this freely available. I may send the entire recording to Tony for inclusion in this website. I am almost certain to put snippets on the Wikipedia page for the LCVP
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is outside my own site's scope, I can host it and we can look for a more suitable long-term home and decide after such is found whether to remove our own copy.

Good opportunity. My own angle on it would be to steer them toward the technical and the personal. e.g.: how fast did these go? Did they have to slow down in given sea states? Was turning ever dangerous in a sea state? Did their craft receive fire? Did they have armor to crouch behind, and how confident were they in its thickness and coverage? etc.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Fontenoy is the one that will be doing the 'steering.' I myself am rather low on this particular totem pole.
Iain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the gentlemen described the speed of the LCVPs as "ten knots down hill with a following wind." He also described how a German 88 mm shell went through one side near the bow up high and exited the other down low, decapitating the first guy, cutting the second in half about chest height, and seriously wounding two more. If his boat had been mahoganny the shell probably would have gone off, but he was thankful for having one of the more prevailant plywood boats.

The whole event was rather interesting. However, as the museum does own the recording, there is no need to worry about hosting.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 knots is fast for what I'd expect of those. His anecdote of the shellhit is grim, but I suppose not very surprising. Indeed it's lucky if the shell did not detonate. Did it cause flooding?

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said that it was high enough that it was above the nominal waterline, but going through the surf caused some water to get in, nothing the bilge pumps couldn't handle.

Interestingly, some of the LCVPs at Normandy had their machine guns removed for fear that the crew would shoot their own side. In the Pacific the guns remained in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: